Ensuring your data centers are clean and contaminant free keeps your data safe, prevents data loss, avoids hardware failures, and prevents costly downtime.
Why Clean Data Centers?
Protecting data is crucial to business because downtime can be costly and catastrophic. Proactively cleaning and maintaining your data center keeps your business running smoothly. Data centers have equipment and surfaces that are susceptible to dirt and dust. Contaminants can make their way into data centers, which harms data servers by causing overheating and system errors.
Several types of companies have data centers:
- Call centers
- Command centers
- Web hosting companies
- Data processing centers
- Colocation data centers
- Telecom facilities
Cleaning Data Centers
Using specific data-center permitted equipment, evaluating who enters the data center, cleaning consistently and hiring experienced cleaners can help protect your business.
Data centers are unique, so the process to clean them is unique as well. Here’s some of the equipment used to clean data centers:
- Special dust cloths featuring particle absorbent material
- Low-lint mops that don’t shed
- No-ammonia cleaners
- Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) vacuums with High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters
Evaluate Who (and What) Enters the Data Center
In general, about 90 percent of the air in a data center is recirculated. So it’s crucial to keep dust, dirt, and debris out and monitor potential contamination sources, such as:
- Humans bring dust, dirt and debris into data centers. You can decrease this by using tacky mats at the room entrances and having those who have to enter the data center to wear shoe covers.
- Unpack materials in another room rather than in the data room to prevent unnecessary contaminants.
- Use HEPA filters to prevent outside air contaminants from circulating in the data center.
Cleaning the data center consistently helps keep data safe and reduces risks for dust, dirt, debris, and particulate contamination. Every facility is different, so it’s important to examine the traffic the data center receives. High-traffic data centers could need daily or weekly cleanings. Other facilities have very low traffic without lights so they could get away with monthly or quarterly cleaning services.
Hire Data Room Cleaning Experts
It’s essential to hire experienced commercial cleaning that have highly-trained technicians and years of data center cleaning experience. Experts understand the nuances to cleaning data centers safely and meticulously. If you’re in need of a data center expert, reach out to Joncowest. We can answer any questions you might have and provide a detailed data center cleaning quote.